Thursday, June 17, 2010

Enjoying our "yard"

The day started out with big plans to meet our friends at the park for our new summer park days. When we awoke, it was rainy, but slowed up some so we still planned to go. I got our picnic lunch packed, packages ready to bring down to the mailbox and Ethan even had an early nap. We were all set to go and strapped in the car, but alas, the key turned and nothing happened. I knew immediately it was the battery. I have had a bad feeling about letting the kids play in the car in the garage for fear a light might be left on and drain the battery, but thus far it has not happened. Today was the day. Our neighbor was gone and friends were at the park, so luckily we have AAA. I called them and a nice man got the battery going again. By this point we had already taken a walk down to the mailbox and back up the driveway and had a picnic in the grass trying to make the best out of a downer situation. We were hoping to have some friends over but no one returned our calls. The day actually turned out to be fabulous even though we didn't go anywhere. I had fun exploring the yard with the kids, got some weeding done (thanks to Ethan and Sylvia for their help), and exercised. I guess life is really what you make of it. We could have been grouchy and moped around all day because our plans were ruined, but instead we had a better time than our normal days around the house.
Our cool nature discovery...this was a knot in one of our Madrone trees that was formed so neatly that it held a little pond of water.
Preston helping Ethan through the grass...this picture gives you an idea of how tall it is. Ethan did not like it one bit! I guess if I were his size I wouldn't either.
Enjoying a picnic in nature
Ethan trudging carefully among the tall grass

No comments: